Home Page » Personal Insurance » Auto Insurance

Auto Insurance


Leonard Adams Insurance will shop your Portland Oregon auto insurance and provide you with the best possible auto insurance rates from local northwest and national insurance companies.

A personal auto insurance policy is designed to insure your personal use vehicle; the insurance policy has six specific functions. Below is a list of the coverage options and why you may need them:  

Bodily Injury Liability Protects you from lawsuits for injuries caused to others by your vehicle.  

Property Damage Liability Provides protection from lawsuits for damages caused by your vehicle to someone else’s vehicle or property.  

Personal Injury Protection / Medical ClaimsCovers you, members of your family, and passengers in your vehicle for medical and related expenses that result from an auto accident.  

Uninsured / Under Insured Motorist Coverage Insures you against losses caused by someone who is uninsured or has inadequate insurance to cover your loss.  

Collision Coverage Covers damage to your vehicle from collision with another vehicle.  

Comprehensive Coverage Extends the coverage of your vehicle to include damage from theft, fire, vandalism, hail or other incidents.

Additional policy options include:

Rental Costs Provides reimbursement for use of a rental car while yours is being repaired.

Towing Costs If your vehicle is disabled, this covers the cost of towing it to a repair facility.

1. What are the Oregon auto insurance requirements?

Oregon’s auto insurance law ORS 806.010 requires every driver to insure their vehicle. The minimum auto liability insurance that a driver must have is bodily injury and property damage liability of $25,000 per person, $50,000 per accident for bodily injury to others; and $25,000 per accident for damage to the property of others. Personal injury protection (for reasonable and necessary medical, dental and other expenses once year after an accident) is required at a minimum of $15,000 per person.


If you think you need more liability protection than the law requires then you are absolutely right! Most accidents have the potential to be more than what the state minimum limits require. If you are considered responsible for bills that exceed the amount of your insurance coverage then the difference will come out of your own pocket.


Our agency recommends liability limits of no less than $100,000 per person, $300,000 per accident, and $100,000 in property damage for split limits and $300,000 for combined single limits per accident.

2. What is the difference between Split Limit and Combined Single Limit coverage?

When purchasing liability insurance some companies will provide you with two types of coverage options. Combined Single Limit and Split Limit policies. The difference between the two is that a Combined Single Limit gives you one single amount of coverage to use as needed; and Split Limit coverage splits the coverage amount.


Split Limit coverage designates and apportions how much protection you have for bodily injury and/or property damage. Essentially it breaks down the maximum coverage per person and per accident for bodily injury with a separate component for property damage. A Split Limit is quoted in three numbers: bodily injury at $100,000 per person/$300,000 per accident & $100,000 for property damage.


At its simplicity Combined Single Limit will afford the flexibility to use the entire coverage amount for everything, including property damage and bodily injury. You would not be locked into a set breakdown of coverage amounts which provides flexibility based on the situation of an accident to distribute money in an appropriate fashion.

3. Why do auto insurance rates vary so much with the companies you represent?

Auto insurance rates can vary widely from company to company and many factors are involved. Prices for comparable coverage can vary as a result of a company’s claims experiences and non claim expenses such as employee salaries, advertising and the price of selling policies.

4. How does my auto policy work when I rent a car from Hertz or Enterprise?

Your auto policy will pay for damage to a rental car if you carry physical damage coverage (comprehensive and/or collision) on your vehicle. If you do carry physical damage you would still have to pay the deductible then your insurance company would pick up the remainder of the damage. Your policy does not cover ‘Loss Damage’; this is when the rental car companies charge you for loss of rental income while the car is being repaired. The cost of this coverage can be, and usually is, outrageous although we do recommend that our clients purchase the loss damage waiver for short term rentals.


It is possible that your credit card contract offers some kind of “loss damage” protection when you rent a car, depending on the contract the coverage can be very limited. The only way to protect you from “loss damage” is to purchase the “Loss Damage Waiver” or their “Physical Damage” coverage.